Did you know that amalgam (silver) fillings actually “smoke”? These fillings release harmful, mercury-laden vapors into your mouth 24/7. If mercury is so dangerous, why is it placed in patients’ mouths?
Susquehanna Dental Arts is one of a very few family dental practices in Central Pennsylvania that offers the SAFE removal of mercury. We use state-of-the-art machines that filter mercury out of the air as we remove old mercury (amalgam) fillings.
Dear Dr. Allison,
I appreciate your work to safely remove all my mercury fillings. I have been observing changes in myself since then and have made the following observations:
1. My balance is much better. I can hold a yoga pose much longer and put on socks without leaning on something.
2. Small tremors in my hands which led me to give up jewelry making have disappeared.
3. I don’t know if it is related, but I have had the first improvement in my bone density test since I stopped using Fosamax 12 years ago.
Mercury and Amalgam
Amalgam is a filling material that is mainly comprised of mercury (hovering around 50%), as well as silver, tin, and copper. We know that mercury is toxic, but did you know it is the most toxic, non-radioactive heavy metal on earth? Keep in mind, that category includes some very poisonous elements, like arsenic and lead.
It was once believed that the mercury in the mixture was stably bound to the other components and couldn’t escape, but numerous recent studies show that mercury is constantly released from amalgam as a breathable vapor. These fillings are not only a danger to you, but also the environment, dental workers, and unborn children.
Thankfully, there are affordable, effective, and cosmetically superior filling materials available to dentists today. If we know that there’s no safe level of mercury exposure, then the continued use of mercury-amalgam doesn’t make sense. Safe amalgam removal, if applicable, is the first step in remedying this potential hazard. The second is substituting this dangerous filling material with an alternative which better serves your long-term health. We can see to both steps at Susquehanna Dental Arts.
Mercury and Health
The World Health Organization has stated that there is no “safe” level of mercury exposure, and individuals with amalgam fillings can be exposed to upwards of 27 micrograms a day. In 2009, the FDA went so far as to raise amalgam into Class II (moderate risk).
Mercury is a bio-accumulative toxin that accumulates in the body’s tissues over time. Small, steady doses cause buildups in the liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, and especially in the brain and nerve tissue. Mercury eventually binds with the sulfur groups of the body’s enzymes. Once present, mercury molecules prevent bound enzymes from forming the shapes needed to catalyze chemical processes. Essentially, mercury will attempt to insert itself into every chemical function your body performs regularly. Non-lethal accumulations may not manifest severe symptoms, but can cause a suite of subtle ailments and aggravate existing conditions. This makes mercury poisoning nearly impossible for healthcare professionals to identify.
The immune system protects your body from invasion of viruses and foreign bacteria and if it’s constantly tied up trying to remove the heavy metal, it’s less able to address other invaders, leaving you potentially subject to harm. It’s apparent then that mercury fillings may particularly contribute to this unnatural imbalance in your body.
There’s no argument that mercury in any quantity is a potential hazard for the body, so while holding to this school of thought, we think it only logical for the health of our clients to consider amalgam or mercury removal. We feel that it’s an essential first line for defense for sustainable health.
Mercury and the Environment
Mercury contaminates food chains on every level. Through the process of bio-magnification, mercury concentrations in wildlife increase as the toxin moves up the food chain. Each animal absorbs the majority of the methylated mercury content of the plants or animals it feeds on. This is why the highest concentrations are found at the top of the chain, in large predators. Along the way mercury inevitably infiltrates human food sources.
Dental practices operate under ordinances governing safe mercury handling. However, the measures needed to prevent mercury contamination of wastewater discharge are poorly represented amongst dental offices.
Susquehanna Dental Arts is equipped with state-of- the-art mercury separators that remove at least 98% of mercury contaminants from our waste water. The mercury is prevented from contaminating our nearby river and the Chesapeake Bay. Considering nature’s balance in our practice as well as your body’s, we consciously invest in amalgam removal that’s both safe for you and our environment.