Invisalign® makes it easy to straighten your teeth without bands, brackets, or wires. Invisalign® is a virtually invisible solution so you can smile during as well as after treatment. In fact, no one will know you’re wearing them unless you tell. By using a series of clear removable aligners, Invisalign® straightens your teeth right before your eyes. Change them about every two weeks and your teeth will move little-by-little toward the smile you have always wanted.
Invisalign® is comfortable to wear and it doesn’t require you to change your busy lifestyle. It’s suggested that you visit your doctor for a brief appointment every two weeks to check your progression and get new aligners. Average treatment time is only about a year. Because aligners are removable you can continue to eat your favorite foods while brushing and flossing normally to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Align your teeth without the hassle and inconvenience that accompanies traditional braces and see why Invisalign® is quickly becoming the fan favorite for tooth alignment!
For your understanding and to help you determine which option is best to straighten your teeth, we’re providing a side-by-side comparison of traditional metal braces vs. Invisalign® treatment.
Metal braces are the traditional way dentists and orthodontists have straightened teeth for their patients.
Braces are comprised of metal brackets with wires that run in between the teeth. The treatment time runs an average of two years with follow up visits roughly every month. Maintaining braces can be a little more difficult. To properly clean and maintain requires you to brush the brackets, wires, and teeth every brushing session. Flossing is a little more difficult as well.
- For more complex issues like malocclusion (“bad bite”, the way the upper and lower teeth fit together in biting and chewing) on back teeth, braces are your most effective option.
- Since you can’t take them out, you won’t be tempted to take a day off if your teeth begin to feel sore from the treatment.
- There are additional irritation issues with the soft tissue in your mouth that can occur as a direct result of the brackets and wires.
- You may be limited on the sticky and hard foods you are allowed to consume so you don’t break the brackets.
Invisalign® is a newer method of straightening teeth that uses clear trays that you wear over your teeth. While wearing these aligners, your teeth will gradually and gently shift into position.
Invisalign® is a set of clear or invisible trays that are worn over your teeth. Treatment time can range from 6-18 months and need to be worn at least 22 hours a day. The maintenance for these is as simple as brushing or rinsing your trays in lukewarm water, or you can order a special Invisalign® Cleaning System for a deeper clean.
- They are the more aesthetically pleasing option since you do not have the exposed metal brackets or wires, but instead are using an invisible tray.
- Those who are active in contact sports can play without fear of the additional damage caused by getting hit in the mouth.
- They reduce damage to teeth and gum since there are no sharp or protruding edges or bits.
- No difficulty eating, trays are removed to eat.
- No issues with food getting caught in wires or brackets.
- You must remove them before eating or drinking anything but water.
- You may forget to put them back into your mouth after meals, or you may be tempted to leave them out if you have discomfort from tooth movement.
- Complex cases are better handled by braces.
Both braces and Invisalign® are legitimate solutions for straightening your teeth. Depending on what your unique situation is will determine the best route for treatment. If you are considering options for straightening your teeth, we’d be happy to discuss your options with you.
Based on your individual treatment plan, a series of custom-made,
clear aligners is then created specifically for you. These aligners are
made of a smooth, comfortable, BPA-free plastic that won’t irritate your
cheeks and gums like traditional metal braces often do. Simply wear
them throughout the day, and remove them when you eat or to brush
and floss your teeth. As you wear each set of aligners, your teeth gently
and gradually begin to shift into place. And because they’re virtually
invisible, most people won’t even notice you’re wearing them.