Good dental hygiene habits can not only save you from painful dental procedures, they can also save you quite a bit of money. If you practice preventive dentistry, you can put yourself in the best position to protect your smile, your wallet, your oral health, and your health overall.
Preventive dentistry focuses on the ongoing care of your mouth, both at home and with regular visits to the dentist. Here are some techniques you and your dentist can perform to be proactive about your dental health.
Preventive Dentistry at Home
- It all begins with daily brushing and flossing. We’ve mentioned in previous blogs how important flossing is for you, and of course, how important brushing is as well. Choose the appropriate toothbrush and remember to use it at least twice a day.
- If you are involved in sports, or if you grind your teeth, don’t forget to equip yourself with a mouth guard. Sports injuries aren’t just limited to broken bones and muscle tears, but can also include broken, chipped, and lost teeth.
- Remember to limit sugary snacks and high-acidity foods. These types of snacks or drinks can be extremely detrimental to your oral health and can eat away at your teeth and cause dental plaque.
- Kick the habits we all know are bad. Smoking and consuming alcohol can lead to several issues, including dry mouth, discoloration and staining, gum disease, tooth loss, and other serious problems like oral cancer.
Preventive Dentistry at the Dentist’s Office
- Regular checkups and cleanings are one of your best defenses against common dental issues such as plaque or tartar buildup, gum disease, and cavities.
- At your appointment, we can also perform advanced screening for issues such as oral cancer (with the helpful VELscope oral assessment system), LASER decay detection, sealants, oxygen/ozone therapy, X-rays, and more.
The good news is that practicing preventive dentistry is something you can start today at home. But be sure to supplement your home care with regular visits to our office. If you’re in need of an appointment, give us a call at 717-285-7033 and we’ll be happy to get you scheduled!